Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Game of Beer Pong

The wonderfully college-aged game that I am beginning to believe is overplayed. I have never before questioned the game of beer pong. I have never given it much thought. Normally, I have just played (and failed) and ended up getting buzzed from those cups filled with beer. The game, I'm sure, is known all over U.S. colleges. Posters devoted to the game are hung over some of my friends dorm walls (it brings an automatic cool factor, maybe?), t-shirts have been worn, and even cups stating "Sink it & Drink it" have been purchased. I never knew a simple, testosterone evoking game could become so known and popular!

It's not the fact that I'm bitter because I'm bad at it (which, I really am terrible) because I'm really not bitter. Beer pong is something I play regardless, because if I'm bad at it that means I get to drink the beer faster, right? I just feel as if it has turned into this tool of procrastination. And, if not that, then most definitely a "party must" that I believe is not a party must. Excuse me, beer pong partakers, but your beer spills have become so big that they are seeping slowly onto the "designated dance floor" and I am having a hard time keeping my balance as I grind on this stranger! I'm not sure if they realize how much beer they spill, or where it lands, but it really gets everywhere. The playing table, no matter what you're playing on, will be messed up within five rounds of this game. I've seen people play on wood boards placed on an ironing board. Friends of mine have stacked up end tables on a coffee table, and then placed a piece of wood on top of those. It's sad what people will do for the satisfaction of playing a game that the majority of party goers have played or at least heard of.

Other then the fact of what people will do to play this game, it's what people will do to be good at this game. People who practice with empty cups, people who play the game numerous amounts of times, and many other ways to become a pro. There is some sort of satisfaction to the idea of being good at this game. What comes along with being good is "the ultimate beer pong team". Teams? Two people that are good players team up and are "unstopable". It's cute how close you are to your beer pong partner, but are you all really proud that you're undefeated? The high fives and the whoops and hollers. People even have slangs and terms for this overrated beer pong that I continue to blog about. "Heating up," "On fire," "Double bounce," "Tipped it!" Really now. If we made a dictionary for beer pong terms, it would be small but substantial enough for followers to purchase. Just put the words "Beer pong" on it and it will be bought.

Thank you, and I'm out of here

No comments: